Thursday 4 July 2013

Long time no see - lost in Medium Format film and toys

Has it really been half a year?! Ok, what have I been up to?
I've been playing with some lovely new/old gear and rediscovering film. Here are the Three Graces courtesy of Wikipedia sourced product images.



The Fuji GA645Zi, a Medium Format, 6x4.5 camera with a 55-90mm f/4.5-6.9 zoom lens (equivalent to 35mm-55mm in FF terms).





The Fuji GA645,  Medium Format, 6x4.5 camera with a fixed 60mm lens at f4 (equivalent to 38mm in FF terms). Dan Stella is the mighty expert on all things Fuji and you can see the complete specs and a very useful discussion/exposition of the abilities of these cameras here:



In summary, the Fujis are really user-friendly cameras featuring sharp but non-interchangeable lenses, AF (of sorts) and are champions when it comes to people and landscape shots. As long as you make absolutely sure that the people in question stay still (the AF is zone-based and basic). I will do a separate piece on these two cameras, but I am not spoiling anything by saying that I am mightily impressed.




And, moving from 1990s tech straight to 1978 ("Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous" TM Ron Manager) here is the mighty Canon A1. Its original price would translate to around £1,200 in today's money, so we are looking at the Canon 7D of its time. It is an electronics driven, FF SLR with all the trimmings and -to my mind- the most annoying Aperture Priority UI ever. Again, I will write a separate piece but I'm going to have to think about this one. A lot


Also, I got a Nikon V1. C'mon don't judge me, it was only £230 ;-)
I'll be back soon




No comments:

Post a Comment